Friday, September 23, 2016

Product Review- Miss Jones Organic Frosting- Corn free, Soy Free, Gluten-free, Vegan

Now don't get me wrong, home-made frosting is absolutely amazing and much preferred, but sometimes, you really just need something quick and easy to throw on a cake (or eat with graham crackers, mmmm- super easy treat!  I've got a super easy oat flour graham cracker recipe that I will post in the near future).

Most store-bought frostings are full of unnecessary ingredients (that also happen to be common allergens), like high fructose corn syrup, and soybean oil.  Even homemade frostings usually contain dairy (another common allergen), although it is fairly easy to substitute alternative milk and shortening options to make frosting either allergen-free or vegan (depending upon your needs!).  These common ingredients make it difficult to find an easy frosting option when you have special dietary needs, so I was very excited when I learned about Miss Jones Organic frosting.  Please note- this post is in no way sponsored,  I just found the product at Target, and was pretty shocked when I read the ingredient label, and discovered I could actually eat the frosting- definitely a rarity with my particular allergens!

My local store had the Vanilla Buttercream frosting, and the Chocolate Buttercream frosting, so I bought one of each.  Both products were soy-free, corn-free, vegan, dairy free, nut free (and made in a nut-free facility), and gluten-free.  The price was definitely higher than other brands of frosting, but that is to be expected with an Organic product. They were, fortunately, on sale when I bought them, and I was also able to utilize iBotta to get an extra rebate!

Overall, I was very impressed with both products, and would love to try the other flavors (they also have Cinnamon Sugar, Salted Caramel, and Cream Cheese frosting).  The consistency is very light, fluffy and creamy.

The vanilla flavor reminded me of the middle of an oreo- but fluffy and soft, I served it on my Grandma's Eggless Chocolate Cake recipe, and it was really tasty- I got rave reviews from some Vegan friends who rarely get to enjoy frosting- or cake.  This frosting is definitely fluffier than standard buttercream frosting, and not as sugary sweet (I actually prefer that it is a bit less sweet).  The texture is a little bit more slippery, most likely due to the use of a vegetable shortening rather than butter (I know slippery sounds weird, but I don't know how else to describe it!  It's not a bad thing, just a bit different from standard frostings).  The chocolate frosting had a nice deep chocolatey flavor and the same texture/consistency as the vanilla flavor.   I used the chocolate frosting on a chocolate cake, with some caramel drizzle, and caramel buttercream frosting (I made that frosting from scratch).  Both frostings went on the cakes very smoothly, and it was easy to decorate with them.

Overall, I was very impressed with the product, and plan to keep a container on hand at all times, you know- for baking emergencies!

A few other things that I thought were pretty cool about the brand:
1.  Their products are USDA certified Organic, non-GMO and plant based (great for Vegans!)
2.  All of their products use only Rainforest Alliance certified Palm Oil (hooray- save the rainforests!)
3.  Miss Jones Organics is an American company, and their products are made in San Francisco, California


No comments:

Post a Comment